A United Voice for Oregon Business
Oregon Business & Industry is Oregon's largest and most influential comprehensive business association advocating for a strong economy and a healthy, prosperous and competitive Oregon. OBI serves as the state's chamber of commerce and is the state affiliate for the National Retail Federation and the National Association of Manufacturers. Members participate with other business leaders committed to growing Oregon’s economy, quality jobs for our citizens, and healthy communities.
The OBI Mission
To strengthen Oregon’s economy in order to achieve a healthy, prosperous and competitive Oregon for the benefit of present and future generations.
OBI was created July 1, 2017, through the merger of Associated Oregon Industries (AOI) and Oregon Business Association (OBA). The goal of the merger was to combine the strengths of the two organizations and to create a unified voice for Oregon businesses. Here’s a look at the history of each organization:
AOI: Serving Business Since 1895
Founded in 1895, Associated Oregon Industries (AOI) quickly became a powerful voice with Legislators and regulatory agencies – a role it maintained through economic and political change. Throughout its history, it represented large and small companies from all business classifications and all regions of Oregon through all types of economic and political circumstances.
OBA: Seeking Long-Term Balance
The Oregon Business Association (OBA) was formed by a group of Oregon business leaders in 1999, with the goal of providing statewide business leadership to ensure Oregon’s long-term economic competitiveness. Its members, from homegrown to Fortune 500, supported OBA’s commitment to a healthy economy for all Oregonians.
Advocating for Business Concerns
As the state's foremost non-partisan business advocate, OBI represents its members before the Legislature and state agencies for issues that pertain to:
- Economic Development
- Employment Practices
- Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
- Manufacturing Council
- Oregon Retail Council
OBI's guiding principles are to:
- Pursue a balanced approach to achieving our mission without affiliation with any political party.
- Take positions consistent with our mission and the common good regardless of difficulty or popularity.
- Advocate for justifiable, cooperative, appropriate and fact-based regulation.
- Educate and engage Oregonians on the importance of business and the Oregon economy as the cornerstone of Oregon’s quality of life prosperity.
- Advocate for efficient, effective and accountable public policies that encourage private sector job creation and business prosperity.
- Serve as the convener of the greater Oregon business community and other stakeholders to promote a unified business voice.
Contact OBI Membership Department